Worship and Arts Director – The Journey Metro East
The Director of Worship & Arts will disciple and form our people through worship experiences that are Christocentric, gospel-saturated, and centered on the glory of God. With his/her own distinctive style, the worship leader will work hard to cultivate an atmosphere and attitude of joyful worship in the lives of God’s people by facilitating a Christ-centered, doctrinally sound, predominantly celebratory, engaging, demonstrative, consistently excellent, and uniquely creative corporate worship experience. This person will also cultivate the creative community at The Journey Metro East.
Core Competencies & Qualifications
The individual in this position must possess the following skills, abilities, and attitudes in order to perform this position:
- Working with People
- Leading & Supervising
- Adapting & Responding to change
- Presenting & Communicating information
- Fulfills The Journey’s membership requirements as outlined in the membership covenant
- Fulfills the character qualifications and duties of Deacon as taught in Scriptures (1 Tim. 3:8-13)
- Possesses a robust biblical theology of worship that undergirds all musical skill and leadership
- Demonstrable skill as a musician (piano and/or guitar) and vocalist
- Demonstrates facility in a variety of worship styles, including gospel music, contemporary Christian music, hymnody, and liturgical worship
- Demonstrable ability to train, coach, and unify praise team, choir, and band that shapes a consistently excellent worship experience
- Demonstrable ability to verbally lead/engage a diverse congregation in worship
Duties & Responsibilities
All of the duties and responsibilities listed below will be in coordination with and under the guidance of the leadership team because of the training nature of this position.
- Collaborate with Lead Pastor and Worship Planning Team on planning and execution of Sunday Morning and Special Services at The Journey Metro East
- Create a worship experience that blends gospel/soulful musical styles, CCM, and liturgical elements that connects with a broad cross-section of worshippers.
- Regularly craft unique arrangements of well-known songs and hymns for congregational singing
- Identify, audition, assimilate, and develop additional worship leaders and musicians.
- Shepherd, develop and lead a team of musicians, both professional and volunteer, in preparing, executing, and assessing weekly worship services
- Provide vocal coaching to praise team, choir, and soloist
- Oversee and/or lead the production team at The Journey Metro East
- Write and record original corporate worship songs annually in collaboration with The Journey Collective
- Create and manage app content for Metro East worship
- Assist with the execution of various local initiatives at The Journey Metro East as assigned by the Lead Pastor
- Builds and cultivates partnerships with the artistic community in Metro East that leads to cultural engagement opportunities
- Assist in the creating trainings, classes, and other events for the spiritual formation of Metro East members and attenders.
- Curate a warm, hospitable environment that is both beautiful and facilities pre and post service fellowship.
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Status: Full-Time, exempt
Schedule: Mon.-Thurs. 9a.m.-5p.m., Sun. 9:30-1 p.m., plus 5-10 hours of intentional after hours community cultivation both at Metro East and the broader creative community; Special events and services as scheduled
Hours: 40 hours/week
Benefits: Health Insurance; 403b, Life Insurance; LTD; paid vacation, sick, and personal leave; cell phone reimbursement
Reports to: Lead Pastor of Metro East
Authored by: Amy Mattia & Charlie MacIsaac
Date: March 2021